And here are the treats:
|(Shh don't tell - it's mostly just kibble but I put in a few pieces of pupperonis so the kibble smells like treats)|
1. You put your nose or paw on the toy. Click.
2. You put the toy in your mouth. Click.
3. You hold the toy for longer amounts of time. Click.
4. You pick up the toy yourself. Click.
5. Gradually from farther away. Click.
6. I back away a few steps getting you to follow me with the toy in your mouth. Click.
And so it goes and soon we'll play fetch. OK?
The dog in the tutorial is pretty interested in the toy. Toby however is interested in only one thing - food. He absolutely will not have ANYTHING to do with any object when he knows there are treats in play. How can this look so easy and be so hard? ARGGHH! My poor dog - so smart, with such a dumb human. After all, he's already gotten ME trained to fetch for HIM pretty well!